Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Recipe: Stir fried chicken with dark soy sauce and crispy ginger

As a Chinese, I love stir fry dishes with lots of gravy or sauce that I can spoon over my rice and enjoy. My mum does a fantastic stir fried chicken in dark soy sauce with crispy ginger which I have been eating for umpteen years and this is a dish I will NEVER get bored of.

Stir fried chicken in dark soy sauce with crispy ginger


No doubt one of the best things about this dish is the combination of the salty and slightly sweet thick (almost syrupy) sauce coating the chicken as well as excess to douse my rice with. The ginger is julienned, and then shallow fried for a crispy texture. We also like to add a few chillies in just to give this dish a slight spicy kick, but this is completely optional.


It's nice to be able to cook my favorite childhood dishes for my kids, maybe one day Baby C and D can cook this for their kids too :) Do you like these kind of stir fry dishes too?

My kids love this too!

Simply delicious!


Stir fried chicken in dark soy sauce with crispy ginger
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 3


Ingredients
300g chicken breast, cut into bite-size chunks
70g old ginger, julienned
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 Chinese mushrooms, rehydrated and stalks removed
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp dark (caramel) soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
100-150ml water
1/2 tbsp ginger wine
Salt, to taste
3 cili padi (white)
2 red chillies, sliced
Lettuce leaves, to garnish


For the chicken marinade
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ginger wine
1 tsp light soy sauce


1. Marinade the chicken with the sesame oil, ginger wine and light soy sauce for 10 minutes.

2. In a wok, heat oil over medium high heat and add the ginger. Cook until crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove half of the ginger and set aside.

3. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until lightly browned. Then, add the chicken and mushrooms and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, then season with dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and ginger wine. Add the water, give a quick stir, cover with lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Taste and season with more salt if required.

4. Add the cili padi and red chillies and give it a final stir. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, and top with the crispy ginger that you have set aside earlier.






If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks ;)

*I am submitting this to Little Thumb's Up "Ginger" event hosted by Alvin @ Chef and Sommelier.

No comments:

Post a Comment